With growing age, one will need to pay more attention to keep the body fit, have good control on the body movements and have adequate balance too. Regular exercising becomes a prerequisite for being fit especially for the elders. If visiting a gym or going out for work-outs is inconvenient, the old people can be provided with suitable equipment to work-out in their homes itself.
These exercises will be aimed at improving the flexibility, strengthening the muscles and having a wider range of movements of the body. These should be commenced on consultation with a doctor. Some such equipment that can be used for these purposes are:
• Elliptical Machine: This is used to practice movements which are at par with walking or running out-doors. It is less stressful on the joints and the elder has lesser chances of injury.
• Free weights: One can choose weights which can be lifted comfortably without straining. They are available in the form of dumbbells and are perfect for toning muscles.
• Recumbent stationary bike: This is a better option as compared to stationary bikes, since they lay lesser stress on the back. This can be used for strengthening leg muscles.
• Treadmill: One can select the pace of work-out as is comfortable and feel the entire body getting exercised.
• Yoga blocks: These are made of foam or bricks and are positioned in such a manner that no part of the body gets strained while exercising or practicing different postures of yoga.
• Other equipment include stair-stepper, rowing machine, resistance band, mini exercising trampoline, and stability ball.